Thursday, July 17, 2008

Blurry

Last night I ran 4 miles with Ang & Trev (hmm...I don't know what I think about those cropped names. I'll have to think about it) and was pretty cool with going, thinking it'd be the same as the other 4-mile runs we made. And in most aspects it was.

Except I was blind.

Well, not really blind. But close enough.


I ran out of contacts last week and have been wearing my glasses for almost 10 days straight, which is quite an accomplishment for me. I just can't seem to get used to only seeing what's in front of me in full clarity and half guessing what's in my peripheral vision. Who knows, so maniacal killer could be stalking me just on the edge of my peripheral vision on purpose and enjoying my rather unresponsive attitude to his deadly plans.


But my senseless fears were only heightened last night when our decision to run hadn't taken into account my terrible uncorrected vision and even more lamentable night vision (I can't run with glasses on). I remember on my mission once I had to throw out my contacts (Focus Dailies. oh yeah...) early before coming home, and the 30 minute walk through urban San José (~3 million people) was fraught with danger: shadows, puddles, and potholes. I couldn't tell the difference. (My companion had fun with me, but that's besides the point.) I came home wet and with an aching back and knees. And that was just walking. Try running 4 miles. Last night I came home with aching knees from misstepping for almost 40 minutes.

These pictures are really from Costa Rica.


Misstepping wasn't the only thing that was different last night. I could hear sprinklers but couldn't see them as they blessed me with sprays of refreshing water. I didn't see low hanging branches that mockingly rapped me in the head, multiple times. And I kept saying "Good evening" to inanimate objects like lawn chairs and For Sale signs. Angie got a kick out of that.


Moral of the story: athletic activities are less enjoyable if the [aspiring] athlete in question can't see.



But it's many times more enjoyable to those who can.

3 comments:

Angie said...

Hahaha, For Sale signs... :)

Kristi said...

Watch out: I'm stalking you and I have deadly plans. :)

Devan said...

lol! "Good evening." I can't help but think of some creeper saying that in a slow, deep voice.