Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Pumpkin!

(In advance, I'm apologizing for two rapid posts; this is the first of the two.)

Happy Halloween! It's not Halloween yet (it's just the 29th), but Angie and I carved our first pumpkin together on Friday night. We pondered and fretted over what we were to carve (come on, sometimes a jack-o-lantern face is just too boring), and we finally decided on Domo!

This is what Wikipedia says: "
Domo (どーもくん Dōmo-kun?) is the mascot of Japan's NHK television station, appearing in several 30 second stop-motion sketches shown as station identification during shows. The name "Domo" was acquired during the second episode of his show in which a TV announcer said, "dōmo, konnichiwa" (どうも、こんにちは?), which is a formal greeting meaning something along the lines of, "Well, hello there!", but which can also be interpreted as "Hello, Domo!", and thus is a convenient pun (dajare). The kun suffix on "Domo-kun," the name used to describe the character in the Japanese versions, is a Japanese honorific often used with young males."

So, this was our rendition of him. It's not the best, but, hey, it's not bad ;).


And it was fun! We found him online, traced him on the pumpkin, then I (yes, just me) got to cutting for about an hour. Angie helped. A little. ;)

(From Angie: "
I think you need to rephrase a few sentences...you DOMINATED the pumpkin carving. I tried to help but was rejected. Your description makes me sound lazy ;)")


Scary, huh? It's like a fire-breathing Domo! :)

2 comments:

Angie said...

I could have helped more than just "a little" if someone hadn't been hogging the carving knife all night. I tried...

Hugh said...

Ah, the faithful pumpkin, standing guard outside your apartment.

I liked the postscript put up by Angie. Here, Mr. Husband-To-Be is describing something, completely unaware that he is traipsing all over some female standard. Mrs. Wife-To-Be must hop in and defend herself. Kristi and I play that game often.... maybe daily.

Maybe right now...