Sunday, October 12, 2008

A mere flesh wound!

"Epstein Barr virus - Anthony.
Anthony - Epstein Barr virus."
EBv: "How do you do?"
Ant: "Very well, thank you."

It was a cursed greeting, doomed from the start.

For those of you who don't know, the Epstein Barr virus is the virus that causes Pfeifer's Disease, Glandular Fever, or the most popular title: Mononucleosis, otherwise known as mono. Upon hearing the word mono many begin imagining varying scenes of kissing, which is not how it happened. First off, mono is spread through a person's saliva, so it can be spread by kissing but also by some snotty-nosed kid who never washes his hands. Which is how I believe I got it.

Here's why. Mono takes about 4-6 weeks to incubate in your body before symptoms occur. At the time of my diagnosis I had had the symptoms for almost a week, and 5-7 weeks before I was diagnosed was during my vacation in Arkansas, during which week stay we visited an amusement park. I think some sick kid must have wiped his nose on one of the railings and infected me. That's my guess, mostly because Angie is as fit as a fiddle with no symptoms of mono to speak of. It's just not fair.

Which I guess is selfish to say, really. I mean, she's the one basically orchestrating the entire reception and everything that goes along with that, and I'm the one going to school full time, working part time, and sleeping the rest of the time. Things I would be doing anyways were we not getting married. But Angie's working, taking one (1) class, and then getting the reception taken care of. It would probably be a lot worse if she had it. We probably would have an ugly reception...

Either way, I'm chugging along, getting my work done and receiving extensions from my benevolent professors who understand the circumstances I've managed to get myself into. I used to think spending most of my free time sleeping and/or resting would be fun, Not fun. I can't wait to run again and play outside games without the fear of my spleen exploding or something dreadful like that. Though, hopefully, by Thanksgiving I should be over it. And not a moment too soon, cause less than a month after that I'll be getting married. And who wants to be sick on their wedding day???

1 comment:

Jess said...

I understand completely! Hang in there, it gets better. And at least you didn't just spend 2 weeks on the couch... ;)